Sunday, August 20, 2017

Now that I've Skipped a Week

So where am I at now?

Well, in the last two weeks I’ve written about four sheets. It’s honestly not all that much. But I have done other things. It was quite a job getting my financial aid in order for the coming semester. Technically, I’m not done. But I’m comfortable that I’ll get through this semester without any issues. I’ve been working with a group of friends putting together a Kickstarter. I’m happy to say we’re putting on the finishing touches and should be ready to launch in about a week. And I’ve binged all of West World, Defenders, and Deep Space Nine over the last month. Which might seem less like an accomplishment and more like laziness. But I’ll chalk it up to consuming inspiration. Only because they’re all excellent shows.

The truth is, while it’s been busy, I have had plenty of free time. And I’ve accomplished next to nothing when it comes to this story. And I’m disappointed about that. I started out so well, and I got into my own head about things. I questioned myself too many times. I lost sight of why I liked the story. I let myself run with too many ideas and never actually did any writing. And this is a pattern I’ve noticed in myself all too often.

I missed my deadline as well. Given, it was pretty ambitious. Two months is actually a pretty short amount of time to complete a story. I have to remember that and not beat myself up for missing my mark. It was possibly unrealistic, and my excitement at the beginning was unbalanced. It could be why I fell off so badly over the last few weeks. I forgot that this is a marathon. It’s going to take a while to get to where I want to be. Especially because this is my first attempt at writing a graphic novel.

Also, I have to be honest about something. School is important to me (and starts tomorrow at 9am). This Kickstarter is important to me. My podcasts are important to me. Unfortunately, on the list of priorities, it’s a lot lower than I wanted to admit. Which is fine. This is a marathon. As long as I continue working on it, carving away little bits at a time, I will eventually finish. It doesn’t need to happen right this second. But I do have to work on it regularly.

So the new plan is not to work on it every day. It would be unrealistic to do so with my current schedule. But I can work on it a few times a week for a few hours. And over the course of the 16-week semester, I should see it slowly create itself. And that’s the way it should happen anyway.

So I’m recommitting myself. But not as hard core as before. Just enough to get some work done in those little gaps of free time. And I should be okay with that. Especially since I’ve completely flipped the story on its head and sent the whole thing into a spiral. Which is also okay. Because writing is messy. And no matter how well you plan or lay things out, the finished product will never look like your original idea.


Time to fuck shit up.

No comments:

Post a Comment